Open Seat: Board of Education
The Barrow County Board of Education is seeking candidates for the Board of Education
District 8 At‐Large Seat for the remainder of an existing term which will begin December
6, 2018 and expires December 31, 2020. Candidates must meet the minimum requirements
for holding public office in Barrow County and should submit a detailed letter of interest,
clearly stating pertinent personal qualifications and reasons for interest in the position.
Letters of interest should be sent to the Superintendent of the Barrow County School System at 179 W. Athens St., Winder, GA 30680 and will be accepted until noon, January 3, 2019. At the board’s discretion,
candidates may be interviewed on January 10, 2019, at 6PM by members of the board of education.
Public input on interview questions to be posed to the candidates for this position is welcomed
and should also be submitted to the Superintendent of the Barrow County School System at
179 W. Athens St., Winder, GA 30680 by noon, January 3, 2019.
Qualifications for School Board Membership
In Georgia, there are actually very few qualifications for school board membership.
Board members should be willing to serve, be a qualified voter, eligible to vote and reside within the school district’s political boundaries. In many instances, local laws prescribe additional qualifications such as residing within a particular ward or election district. Candidates must file an affidavit with the elections superintendent affirming that he or she has read and agreed to abide by the local board’s code of ethics and conflict of interest policy and has agreed to annually disclose compliance with those policies and the State Board of Education’s training policy.
On the other hand, there are several provisions in Georgia law that address what disqualifies an individual from serving on the school board. A person is ineligible to hold the office of school board member if the individual is:
• Not a resident of Georgia
• Under the age of 21, unless lowered to 18 by local act
• Not a resident in the school district in which the individual is seeking office for 12 months prior to the election or appointment
• Serving on the governing body of a private elementary or secondary educational institution
• Employed by the Georgia Department of Education or serving on the State Board of Education
• Employed by the board of education the individual is serving on
• The holder of another county office or on the city council if an independent district
• A holder or receiver of public money that has refused to, or failed to, account for it or pay it over when asked
• Holding any office of profit or trust under the government of the United States other than that of postmaster or member in the Reserves
• A convicted felon who has not been pardoned nor has his/her rights restored
• Of unsound mind or unable to discharge the duties of the office because of advanced age or bodily infirmity
• A publisher of schoolbooks, an agent of schoolbook publishers, or someone with a financial interest in the sale of schoolbooks